Police accused of ‘stonewalling’ family of man who died after making 911 call

On the morning of Aug. 30, 2024, Rick Buerger and Christine Stark arrived at their brother Ralph Buerger’s house in Fonthill, Ont., to find he had died overnight at just 59 years old.
They later learned Ralph had contacted 911 at 2:56 a.m., apparently to ask for help, but he’d been unable to speak. The call lasted 35 seconds.
A recording of the call, released to the family after Global News began asking questions of police, contains what sounds like someone falling to the ground, followed by apparent heavy breathing.
Despite the sounds appearing audible in the recording, neither police nor paramedics were dispatched to Ralph’s address that night. The family said police promised them an investigation into why a wellness check wasn’t ordered, with officers, they said, acknowledging something had gone wrong.
Almost a year later, however, Rick and Christine are still waiting to see the results of the investigation into what happened that night, which they were told was complete in October.
Rick and Christine say police said they’d have to use freedom of information laws to access a recording of the 911 call and read the investigation. Officers told them the report cleared the operator and police of making any mistake.
Until Thursday, neither Rick nor Christine had been given access to the recording as they tried to navigate a complicated appeals process and police accountability mechanisms.
They say the entire ordeal has been traumatic, cruel and unnecessary.
“It’s even very difficult because it’s not allowing us to actually grieve our brother because we feel like we have to be in a fight for something,” Christine said.
When Rick and Christine arrived to find their brother had died, and later learned he had tried to make a 911 call, they asked police how it could have happened.
A friend of Ralph’s had worked out from his phone records that he had made the call for emergency help. The same friend then contacted police to ask them to look into why nobody was sent to the house.
Christine said she was told the 911 operator had tried to call back but had not received an answer. Christine said they were told they had checked if Ralph had ever made a call to 911 before and had pinged the phone number and located the area — within about 30 metres — where the call had come from.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
She alleged the police detective she spoke to said that at that point admitted that someone had “messed up.
“They made a mistake because nobody was sent,” she recalled the officer saying.
Christine said she was told by the detective that he would be surprised if the chief of police was not already looking into how that had happened.
Niagara Regional Police refused to comment on any elements of the events surrounding the death or the 911 call, including a request from Global News for the force to share its version of events.
Soon after, however, the police’s attitude appeared to change.
On Oct. 27, a detective called Rick to inform him that a professional standards investigation into the 911 call had been completed and determined there was “no misconduct” on the part of the operator.
In the call, which Global News has heard a copy of, the detective told Rick the 911 operator could not “hear any sounds or noises on the call that would cause her concern.”
Rick said he didn’t understand how the police had gone from telling them somebody had made a mistake to saying there were no issues. Christine agreed.
“We had good faith in the police at the beginning that they were going to be assisting us through this process,” she said. “And it just got stonewalled very early on, and it’s been extremely difficult.”
Global News has listened to a copy of the 911 call, which police finally shared with Rick this week. In it, the sound of a crash can be heard as well as strained, rhythmic air sounds, which could be breathing.
Niagara Regional Police did not address questions from Global News about the events in August, citing an ongoing investigation from Ontario’s Inspector General of Policing.
The Inspector General of Policing’s office refused to comment on the investigation.
Navigating a complicated appeal process
Surprised by the change of position from the police, Rick asked for a copy of the 911 call his brother had made to listen to himself. He also requested a copy of the investigation.
“I said, ‘OK, can I have a copy of it?’” Rick said, recalling the phone discussion with the detective in October. “He goes, ‘No, you know the process on how to do that.’ So, then we started with freedom of information.”
Rick filed a request asking for the call recording, the investigation and a copy of 911 operating procedures. Niagara Regional Police, however, rejected it and said the information would not be disclosed, telling Rick he could file an appeal instead.
He then embarked on a painful negotiation, through Ontario’s privacy watchdog, to try and access the information police hold about the night his brother died.
“It’s really been hard on them and unnecessary as well,” local MPP Jeff Burch, who has been enlisted to help, said.
“To give a family closure, they want an apology, and they want to know that steps are taken so that this doesn’t happen to another family. I support them and I hope that they get a prompt and satisfactory response from the police.”
The process has taken its toll on Rick.
“Since January, I have been on calls to (the policing inspector) and (freedom of information appeals) or whatever emails — minimum six calls per month and 12 emails a month,” he said.
“Then, when I’m waiting for responses, because I live in Thailand, it’s the middle of the night, I can’t sleep, I’m always checking for responses.”
At around 11 a.m. on Tuesday morning, Global News sent detailed questions about Ralph’s death and Rick’s request for information to Niagara Regional Police. The next day, a spokesperson replied.
“This matter is currently under investigation by the Inspectorate of Policing (IoP),” they said. “In order to preserve the integrity of that process, it would be inappropriate to comment or provide further information at this time.”
Forty-eight hours after the questions were sent, however, the force finally relented on one of Rick’s requests, handing him the recording of the 911 call.
The investigation itself has still not been released, nor have the local 911 operator guidelines.
Looking for answers and closure
Rick and Christine say they’re tired of fighting for basic information and know that reading the investigation into the Aug. 30 call won’t bring their brother back.
Accessing the information might, though, bring them closure, and they say it will help them start to look forward again, and hopefully ensure lessons are learned so no family has to go through what they have.
“We understand, people make errors, humans make errors, and we get that,” Christine said.
“I just want them to honour what they initially said, that it was a mistake. Let’s look at what the error was — is it a financial constraint? Is it a staffing issue? What is the issue? So it can be rectified so it doesn’t happen again to someone else.”


Gardeners will have an updated roadmap to help them plan next year as Natural Resources Canada has released an update to its plant hardiness zones map.
The last map came out in 2014 and, since then, researchers say about 80 per cent of land in Canada has shown an increase in zones, typically between a half and a full zone.
In the simplest terms, the plant hardiness zone map shows what can grow where. The zones go from 0 to 9, and each zone is divided into two: a and b.
The maps are created based on data from seven criteria averaged out over a 30-year span: monthly mean of the daily minimum temperature of the coldest month, mean frost-free period above 0 C in days, amount of rainfall from June to November, monthly mean of the daily maximum temperatures of the warmest month, rainfall in January (important because freezing temperatures following rainfall can be bad for roots), mean maximum snow depth and maximum wind gust in 30 years.
The new map, which came out in July, is based on data from 1991 to 2020.
Growing in Ontario
In southern Ontario, specifically, most locations have increased by half a zone from the previous map.
“One notable exception is the GTA, which is a big area, so it actually covers a few different zones, but on average it’s increased from a 6A to a 7A,” said John Pedler, research scientist at Great Lakes Forestry Centre, part of Canadian Forest Service — Natural Resources Canada
McKenney says some of the change in Toronto could be due to the “heat island effect.”

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
“As populations grow, there’s more of an influence of concrete and buildings in the actual heat that’s experienced by people in large centres. It’s something that’s studied by climate scientists, not us per se, but we see it represented in the maps that we make.”
The other area in Ontario to see a large jump is the Windsor region, which moved from a 7A to a 7B.
“That’s the first time we’ve seen 7B in Ontario.”
The 1991-2020 plant hardiness zones map, focused on southern Ontario.
Natural Resources Canada
The change in zones means gardeners in Zone 7 can grow canna lilies or even dahlias as perennials rather than annuals. Pedler says gardeners could even try their hand at peaches, nectarines and even figs and pomegranates.
However, Dan McKenney, a research scientist and director of the Integrated Ecology and Economics Division at the Great Lakes Forestry Centre, noted that the maps are a guide based on 30-year averages, and one particularly cold winter could be too harsh for those plants.
“Plants experience things on a day-to-day basis. Every year is different.”
McKenney pointed to Natural Resources Canada’s species models, which allow people to look up the hardiness of individual plant species based on location.
“Some of these other approaches might be best for people who are thinking about commercial growing, depending on your risk tolerances.”
The big picture
Some areas saw changes up to two full zones — mostly in Western Canada, southern and northwestern British Columbia, and the foothills region of Alberta — though none in urban centres.
“As far as some of the big urban centres go across the country, Victoria was a big winner with an increase of 1.5 zones, and it went from a 7B to a 9A; 9A is the highest hardiness zone in all of Canada, so that’s limited to pretty much the area immediately surrounding Victoria and Vancouver,” Pedler said.
“Coming across the country, Vancouver jumped from an 8A to a 9A, Calgary jumped from a 3A to 4A, Winnipeg jumped from 2B to a 3B, Toronto jump from a 6a to a 7a.”
Notably, the eastern portion of Newfoundland actually dropped by half a zone.
“The going theory there is that climate change is actually driving more spawning of icebergs in the North Atlantic, and so you’ve got more icebergs moving down through Iceberg Alley and actually almost counterintuitively having a cooling effect on the eastern part of Newfoundland,” Pedler said, adding that climate change is likely driving the major changes in zones across Canada.
“While it’s fun to think about the novel planting opportunities that come with increasing plant hardiness zones across the country, the larger context is this very concerning phenomenon that is projected to have significant negative impacts on natural and human environments – some of which we’re already seeing, such as the longer and more intense fire seasons in Northern Canada.”
Canada’s map does not translate directly to the United States Department of Agriculture’s map, which is based solely on extreme temperatures.
“(That approach) works well for them because they don’t get a lot of snow in all parts of their country but snow cover can make a big difference to plants,” McKenney said.
Canada’s interactive plant hardiness zones maps, including previous maps covering 1961-1990 and 1981-2010, can be found on the Natural Resources Canada website.
© 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Spirits maker Diageo will cease operations at its bottling facility in Amherstburg, Ont., early next year, as it shifts some bottling volume to the U.S., the company announced on Thursday.
The facility, which bottles Crown Royal products, will close in February in a move aimed at improving its North American supply chain.

Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
About 200 jobs will be affected.
“This was a difficult decision, but one that is crucial to improving the efficiency and resiliency of our supply chain network,” Marsha McIntosh, Diageo’s president of North America supply, said in a statement.
Diageo said it will engage with the community and find ways to support its employees through the transition, and work alongside Unifor to assist unionized workers.
The company said it will still maintain a “significant” footprint in Canada — including its headquarters and warehouse operations in the Greater Toronto Area, and bottling and distillation facilities in Manitoba and Quebec.
McIntosh added the company’s Crown Royal products will continue to be mashed, distilled and aged at its Canadian facilities.
© 2025 The Canadian Press

Toronto police say a 33-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly striking two men with his car Wednesday evening.
Officers say they responded to reports of a collision in the area of Don Mills Road and Gateway Boulevard in the city’s North York neighbourhood just before 10:30 p.m.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
Police say two men got into an argument, leading to one man getting into his car and hitting the other man with it.
They say the man then put his car into reverse, striking a second man.
A man in his 50s was transported to hospital with serious injuries and the second man, in his 20s, had minor injuries.
Police say the suspect from Markham, Ont., faces several other charges as well, including two counts of assault with a weapon, uttering threats and dangerous driving.
© 2025 The Canadian Press
-
Uncategorized3 months ago
Shop Proud, Eat Proud, Be Proud — Ottawa Canada Day Market This June 28th
-
3 months ago
Canada’s world junior trial saw juries tossed, intense testimony. Here’s a recap
-
3 months ago
Measles circulating in northeastern B.C. community, health officials warn
-
2 months ago
Ring of Fire road to bring prosperity to First Nation, problems for caribou: report
-
3 months ago
Anishinabek Nation chief says he briefed Ontario police on protests against Bill 5
-
2 months ago
Former major leaguer, Jays doctor Ron Taylor dies
-
2 months ago
Jagmeet Singh apologizes for attending Kendrick Lamar concert after Drake calls him out
-
2 months ago
Dreaming of a lakeside cottage but can’t afford it? Co-ownership could open that door