‘Pay attention’: Why Southern Ontario is the tornado hotspot of Canada

Summer in Ontario may bring with it warm weather, but last week’s Lucan tornado is a reminder that it’s also tornado season.
Since the start of the year, two tornadoes have touched down in Ontario, one in Lucan on June 30 and the second less than an hour away in Woodstock on May 16.
Dave Sills, director of the Northern Tornado Project at the University of Western Ontario, says Ontario is the leading province for tornadoes per year.
“It’s these summer months — June, July, August — that’s the peak for tornado activity right across Canada, but certainly in southern Ontario, this is the time where you really have to pay attention because tornadoes can happen with all of these storms that we get in this area,” Sills said.
The Northern Tornado Project has been operating since 2017, tracking and assessing tornadoes across Canada.
There were no injuries reported in the recent Lucan tornado, according to the NTP, which rated the twister as an EF0 tornado with wind speeds reaching as high as 110 kilometres per hour.
Lucan, Ont. tornado on June 30, 2025.
Photo by Dr. David Sills/Northern Tornadoes Project,
Lucan is a small village located about a 30-minute drive north of London and is part of the larger Lucan-Biddulph township.

Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
This is the second tornado of the year in Ontario, with the first occurring just down the road near Woodstock on May 16.
Both are located in what is considered a tornado hot spot, in the southern part of the province.
Tornadoes are rated using the Enhanced Fujita (EF) scale, which ranges from EF0 to EF5, with EF5 being the most intense.
In Canada, the aim is to give people at least a 10-minute warning before a tornado hits so they can seek shelter in time.
Every year, the NTP rates Canada’s warning preparedness with a report card. Its most recent report card for 2023 to 2024 gave an overall rating of 60.7 per cent.
While the goal for the organization is for Canada to be at 100 per cent, Sills said this is a noticeable increase from years past, with 2019 to 2021 scoring a failing grade of 37.5 per cent.
The most recent report card from the organization found that in 80 per cent of cases, it was able to issue tornado watches at least six hours before, and tornado warnings were issued 10 minutes before one struck 60 per cent of the time.
Tornado warnings are issued by Environment Canada through the Alert Ready system, which pushes notifications to all cellphones in the area and has the ability to take over radio and TV signals.
“There were still some people in the Lucan event that said they’d never got a warning on their phone. It still seems to be somewhat dependent on the network they’re on and the kind of phone they have and these kinds of things,” Sills said. “Obviously there’s still some kinks in the system that need to be ironed out, but this has come so far from 10 to 20 years ago.”
Sills says while radar is used to track when a tornado can occur, Environment Canada also needs people to report a tornado when they see it forming in order to alert the wider community.
Pointing to the Lucan tornado, Sills said it turned out a lot of people saw the storm, took pictures and video, but did not report to Environment Canada.
“Unless people contact Environment Canada about what they’re seeing, as they’re seeing it, they really have a hard time reacting quickly to a tornado kind of situation,” he said.
People can report a tornado by calling Environment Canada, emailing ONstorm@ec.gc.ca or using the #ONstorm on X.
Regardless, Sills warns people who see a tornado or receive an alert to act fast.
“If a tornado warning is issued, that means that a tornado was either occurring or Doppler radar is showing that it’s imminent, so that means you should get to shelter as soon as possible,” Sills said.
To stay safe from a tornado, it’s recommended people stay away from windows and doors to avoid debris flying through the air and when possible, seek shelter in a basement.
“A lot of times we get people sending us videos of them using their cellphone camera to record a tornado coming straight at them with debris in the air, so this is not recommended,” Sills warns.
“Take it seriously.”
— with files from Global News’ Kevin Nielsen
© 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


Spirits maker Diageo will cease operations at its bottling facility in Amherstburg, Ont., early next year, as it shifts some bottling volume to the U.S., the company announced on Thursday.
The facility, which bottles Crown Royal products, will close in February in a move aimed at improving its North American supply chain.

Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
About 200 jobs will be affected.
“This was a difficult decision, but one that is crucial to improving the efficiency and resiliency of our supply chain network,” Marsha McIntosh, Diageo’s president of North America supply, said in a statement.
Diageo said it will engage with the community and find ways to support its employees through the transition, and work alongside Unifor to assist unionized workers.
The company said it will still maintain a “significant” footprint in Canada — including its headquarters and warehouse operations in the Greater Toronto Area, and bottling and distillation facilities in Manitoba and Quebec.
McIntosh added the company’s Crown Royal products will continue to be mashed, distilled and aged at its Canadian facilities.
© 2025 The Canadian Press

Toronto police say a 33-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly striking two men with his car Wednesday evening.
Officers say they responded to reports of a collision in the area of Don Mills Road and Gateway Boulevard in the city’s North York neighbourhood just before 10:30 p.m.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
Police say two men got into an argument, leading to one man getting into his car and hitting the other man with it.
They say the man then put his car into reverse, striking a second man.
A man in his 50s was transported to hospital with serious injuries and the second man, in his 20s, had minor injuries.
Police say the suspect from Markham, Ont., faces several other charges as well, including two counts of assault with a weapon, uttering threats and dangerous driving.
© 2025 The Canadian Press

A court document shows a Lindsay, Ont., man facing charges for allegedly breaking into an apartment was carrying a crossbow when he was confronted by a tenant.
The resident, Jeremy David McDonald, is also facing assault charges in the incident on Aug. 18 — a fact that has generated widespread interest in the case.
Police information filed in court alleges that Michael Kyle Breen damaged a window and screen at McDonald’s home and carried a crossbow.
The court document says the 41-year-old Breen is charged with break and enter, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, mischief under $5,000 and failing to comply with a probation order.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
Police have said that Breen, who is scheduled to appear in court for a bail hearing next week, was already wanted for unrelated offences.
McDonald, the 44-year-old resident, was charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon after he allegedly “did endanger the life” of Breen.
Premier Doug Ford blasted the decision to charge the apartment resident, saying last week that it shows “something is broken.”
Kawartha Lakes Police Chief Kirk Robertson wrote in a statement Wednesday that he recognizes the incident has generated significant public interest and “emotional” responses, but called some of the reaction “unjust and inaccurate.”
Robertson wrote that individuals have the right to defend themselves and their property, but the law requires that any defensive action be proportionate to the threat faced.
“This means that while homeowners do have the right to protect themselves and their property, the use of force must be reasonable given the circumstances,” he wrote.
© 2025 The Canadian Press
-
Uncategorized3 months ago
Shop Proud, Eat Proud, Be Proud — Ottawa Canada Day Market This June 28th
-
3 months ago
Canada’s world junior trial saw juries tossed, intense testimony. Here’s a recap
-
3 months ago
Measles circulating in northeastern B.C. community, health officials warn
-
2 months ago
Ring of Fire road to bring prosperity to First Nation, problems for caribou: report
-
3 months ago
Anishinabek Nation chief says he briefed Ontario police on protests against Bill 5
-
2 months ago
Former major leaguer, Jays doctor Ron Taylor dies
-
2 months ago
Jagmeet Singh apologizes for attending Kendrick Lamar concert after Drake calls him out
-
2 months ago
Dreaming of a lakeside cottage but can’t afford it? Co-ownership could open that door