Connect with us

Ontario councillor facing criminal charge speaks at meeting, advocates denied deputation

Published

on


Advocates attending the meeting of an Ontario municipality shouted their frustrations Tuesday evening, as a councillor facing a criminal charge was allowed to speak on the very topic they had been banned from discussing.

Members of the Women of Ontario Say No advocacy group sat in the Niagara Falls council chamber, alongside supporters of Coun. Mike Strange, where Mayor Jim Diodati struggled to maintain decorum from both sides.

The meeting followed dramatic events in June, where the advocacy group was denied the chance to speak about issues of municipal conduct because the city said it could impact an ongoing legal matter.

After they were told they could not speak, the group attended a June 17 meeting with signs, and its members were arrested. They were later released without charge.

Their frustration bubbled over at Tuesday’s meeting, as Coun. Strange, who was charged with domestic assault in May, was allowed to stand during the council meeting and talk about municipal accountability legislation — and the allegation against him.

Story continues below advertisement

The charge against Strange has not been proven in court.

“Every individual is presumed innocent until proven guilty,” Strange said during Tuesday’s meeting.

“This is not just a legal technicality; it is a fundamental protection of fairness and justice in our society. To remove an elected official based on an unproven and unfounded allegation would set a dangerous precedent and undermines the very democratic principles that we rely on.”


His speech was punctuated with expressions of frustration from the advocates and met with applause from his supporters. The councillor had previously asked his friends and supporters to attend the meeting and applauded his speech.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

It has been roughly six weeks since the Women of Ontario Say No first asked to present to Niagara Falls council about municipal reform. Their intention, they say, was to seek support for amendments to provincial law, including having councillors put on paid leave if they are criminally charged.

Emily McIntosh, the founder of the group, said it was “shocking” that Strange was allowed to speak on the very topic her group had been denied a delegation on.

“It really undermines the credibility of council to allow double rules,” she said.

“Frankly, it felt terrible to be on the other side of that, where we were denied the opportunity to speak because it may relate to ongoing legal proceedings — even though that wasn’t the case, it was very general in nature — and then a councillor could get up, not only speak to that but then also speak to his own personal support that he received.”

Story continues below advertisement

McIntosh said it was “extremely unprofessional” that council allowed Strange to speak at all on the topic. “This is exactly why the public is losing trust in publicly-elected officials,” she said.

Another councillor did suggest Strange should not address the ongoing legal matter during the meeting, but the city’s CAO said he believed Strange could talk on the topic because he could waive his own privilege rights.

Mayor Diodati, who makes calls on who can speak as the chair of the council meeting, told Strange he should avoid referencing his own situation. He did not intervene when Strange discussed the charge.

McIntosh said she spoke to a member of the local group who turned out to support Strange. She said they agreed to add supporting the Women of Ontario Say No’s municipal reform plans to the agenda at their next meeting.

“So, I will give credit where credit is due,” she said. “It is very fascinating to me that that core group is willing to provide space to discuss and engage and we couldn’t see the same from the Niagara Falls council.”

The Women of Ontario Say No has also retained a lawyer, who wrote to the city and local police after the arrests in June. They are considering a legal challenge to force Niagara Falls to allow them to make their presentation and for a public apology.

Story continues below advertisement

At Tuesday’s meeting, Coun. Lori Lococo said her colleagues and the city had not treated the group fairly.

“It was stated that they could not have a delegation; there was no opportunity for something to be put on the agenda,” she said.

“I’m all about fairness — they weren’t treated fairly to provide what they needed. I understand what you’re saying, maybe in the lawyer’s correspondence, they were given that option, but they were not given that option from day one.”

During the meeting, Strange tabled a motion to ask staff to research proposed municipal conduct legislation. He said the advocacy group could speak on the day the staff report is finished, at which point — they say — it will be too late.

The legislation that the Women of Ontario Say No wanted to discuss at Niagara Falls council is currently being debated by a legislative committee, as the Ford government decides if it needs to make changes.

Ontario NDP MPP Jeff Burch said Niagara Falls council was in danger of distracting and taking away from a discussion on how to improve the law.

“It’s really detracting from what is supposed to be a bill that makes the municipal arena safer for women, so more people feel comfortable putting their name in the ring to become councillors and work for municipalities,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

“It’s about making things safer for women and all of these actions designed to silence the voices of women who are trying to make things safer for women is something I find very troubling.”

&copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crown Royal bottler closing down Ontario plant, moving operations to U.S.

Published

on

By


Spirits maker Diageo will cease operations at its bottling facility in Amherstburg, Ont., early next year, as it shifts some bottling volume to the U.S., the company announced on Thursday.

The facility, which bottles Crown Royal products, will close in February in a move aimed at improving its North American supply chain.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

About 200 jobs will be affected.

“This was a difficult decision, but one that is crucial to improving the efficiency and resiliency of our supply chain network,” Marsha McIntosh, Diageo’s president of North America supply, said in a statement.

Diageo said it will engage with the community and find ways to support its employees through the transition, and work alongside Unifor to assist unionized workers.

The company said it will still maintain a “significant” footprint in Canada — including its headquarters and warehouse operations in the Greater Toronto Area, and bottling and distillation facilities in Manitoba and Quebec.

Story continues below advertisement

McIntosh added the company’s Crown Royal products will continue to be mashed, distilled and aged at its Canadian facilities.

&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Man faces attempted murder charge after two men struck by car in Toronto: police

Published

on

By


Toronto police say a 33-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly striking two men with his car Wednesday evening.

Officers say they responded to reports of a collision in the area of Don Mills Road and Gateway Boulevard in the city’s North York neighbourhood just before 10:30 p.m.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Police say two men got into an argument, leading to one man getting into his car and hitting the other man with it.

They say the man then put his car into reverse, striking a second man.

A man in his 50s was transported to hospital with serious injuries and the second man, in his 20s, had minor injuries.

Police say the suspect from Markham, Ont., faces several other charges as well, including two counts of assault with a weapon, uttering threats and dangerous driving.


&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Intruder in Ontario home invasion case carried a crossbow, court docs say

Published

on

By


A court document shows a Lindsay, Ont., man facing charges for allegedly breaking into an apartment was carrying a crossbow when he was confronted by a tenant.

The resident, Jeremy David McDonald, is also facing assault charges in the incident on Aug. 18 — a fact that has generated widespread interest in the case.

Police information filed in court alleges that Michael Kyle Breen damaged a window and screen at McDonald’s home and carried a crossbow.

The court document says the 41-year-old Breen is charged with break and enter, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, mischief under $5,000 and failing to comply with a probation order.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Police have said that Breen, who is scheduled to appear in court for a bail hearing next week, was already wanted for unrelated offences.

Story continues below advertisement

McDonald, the 44-year-old resident, was charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon after he allegedly “did endanger the life” of Breen.

Premier Doug Ford blasted the decision to charge the apartment resident, saying last week that it shows “something is broken.”

Kawartha Lakes Police Chief Kirk Robertson wrote in a statement Wednesday that he recognizes the incident has generated significant public interest and “emotional” responses, but called some of the reaction “unjust and inaccurate.”

Robertson wrote that individuals have the right to defend themselves and their property, but the law requires that any defensive action be proportionate to the threat faced.

“This means that while homeowners do have the right to protect themselves and their property, the use of force must be reasonable given the circumstances,” he wrote.


&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 | Ottawa Today