Ontario colleges face massive layoffs after ‘alarming’ enrolment decline

A major union is again sounding the alarm for Ontario’s public colleges as international student enrolment drops to a trickle, programs are cut and major layoffs take place.
On Tuesday, the Ontario Public Service Employees Union released information that suggests the sector faces close to 10,000 job losses and the cancellation or suspension of some 600 programs.
A recent arbitration decision on an issue between the union and the College Employer Council shed some light on the extent of difficulty the sector was going through after an early 2024 federal cap on international students.
The arbitrator wrote in his decision that 23 of Ontario’s 24 public sector colleges reported a 48 per cent decline in enrolment of international students between September 2023 and the following year.
As a result, by the spring of 2025, more than 600 programs were cancelled or suspended at those colleges. Four institutions have also closed campuses or announced they will close them.
The arbitrator called the situation “alarming,” pointing to layoffs numbering more than 8,000 people across 19 of Ontario’s 24 colleges. OPSEU calculates that the number is almost 10,000 if you include layoffs at the colleges that have not yet submitted their information.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
The current pain at Ontario’s colleges can be traced back to the introduction of the federal cap on international students last year.
In that case, Ottawa limited the number of students who could get study permits in each province. The Ford government kept university enrolment steady and reduced the numbers at colleges.
It was a hammer blow to the sector’s revenue, which had for years relied on international students for funding. Government documents estimate that, before the cap, roughly 32 per cent of college revenue came from those joining from abroad.
OPSEU argues that a reliance on international students allowed the provincial government to shirk its funding responsibilities.
“Our communities are paying the cost of a crisis manufactured by provincial underfunding — and workers are prepared to build the provincial, coordinated fightback we need to realize a better college system,” the union said in a statement.
While cuts are being made on campuses, annual salary disclosure data shows pay for leadership at the top of Ontario’s colleges has grown. The best-paid college president in Ontario earned more than $600,000 in 2024, while the second-highest pay was almost $500,000.
Critics of the Ford government have argued it must offer better funding to public colleges to avoid further cuts, which could destroy jobs in some smaller communities.
After the international student cap came in, the province unveiled just over $1 billion in funding for the sector. That was less than the number recommended by the province’s own expert panel.
In the spring, it offered another $750 million for the sector, tied to STEM programs.
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Colleges, Universities, Research Excellence and Security said the claim that the government had deliberately underfunded post-secondary education to create a crisis was “baseless and categorically false,” pointing to recent investments.
They pointed out that the cap on international students came from the federal government and said cuts were decided by individual institutions.
“Decisions related to programming, campus closures, human resources, operational and budgeting decisions lie solely with each institution,” the spokesperson said.
“As we always have, our government will continue making the necessary investments into our publicly-assisted system to ensure our students get into programs that launch successful careers and positively contribute to our economy.”
© 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


Spirits maker Diageo will cease operations at its bottling facility in Amherstburg, Ont., early next year, as it shifts some bottling volume to the U.S., the company announced on Thursday.
The facility, which bottles Crown Royal products, will close in February in a move aimed at improving its North American supply chain.

Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
About 200 jobs will be affected.
“This was a difficult decision, but one that is crucial to improving the efficiency and resiliency of our supply chain network,” Marsha McIntosh, Diageo’s president of North America supply, said in a statement.
Diageo said it will engage with the community and find ways to support its employees through the transition, and work alongside Unifor to assist unionized workers.
The company said it will still maintain a “significant” footprint in Canada — including its headquarters and warehouse operations in the Greater Toronto Area, and bottling and distillation facilities in Manitoba and Quebec.
McIntosh added the company’s Crown Royal products will continue to be mashed, distilled and aged at its Canadian facilities.
© 2025 The Canadian Press

Toronto police say a 33-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly striking two men with his car Wednesday evening.
Officers say they responded to reports of a collision in the area of Don Mills Road and Gateway Boulevard in the city’s North York neighbourhood just before 10:30 p.m.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
Police say two men got into an argument, leading to one man getting into his car and hitting the other man with it.
They say the man then put his car into reverse, striking a second man.
A man in his 50s was transported to hospital with serious injuries and the second man, in his 20s, had minor injuries.
Police say the suspect from Markham, Ont., faces several other charges as well, including two counts of assault with a weapon, uttering threats and dangerous driving.
© 2025 The Canadian Press

A court document shows a Lindsay, Ont., man facing charges for allegedly breaking into an apartment was carrying a crossbow when he was confronted by a tenant.
The resident, Jeremy David McDonald, is also facing assault charges in the incident on Aug. 18 — a fact that has generated widespread interest in the case.
Police information filed in court alleges that Michael Kyle Breen damaged a window and screen at McDonald’s home and carried a crossbow.
The court document says the 41-year-old Breen is charged with break and enter, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, mischief under $5,000 and failing to comply with a probation order.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
Police have said that Breen, who is scheduled to appear in court for a bail hearing next week, was already wanted for unrelated offences.
McDonald, the 44-year-old resident, was charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon after he allegedly “did endanger the life” of Breen.
Premier Doug Ford blasted the decision to charge the apartment resident, saying last week that it shows “something is broken.”
Kawartha Lakes Police Chief Kirk Robertson wrote in a statement Wednesday that he recognizes the incident has generated significant public interest and “emotional” responses, but called some of the reaction “unjust and inaccurate.”
Robertson wrote that individuals have the right to defend themselves and their property, but the law requires that any defensive action be proportionate to the threat faced.
“This means that while homeowners do have the right to protect themselves and their property, the use of force must be reasonable given the circumstances,” he wrote.
© 2025 The Canadian Press
-
Uncategorized3 months ago
Shop Proud, Eat Proud, Be Proud — Ottawa Canada Day Market This June 28th
-
3 months ago
Canada’s world junior trial saw juries tossed, intense testimony. Here’s a recap
-
3 months ago
Measles circulating in northeastern B.C. community, health officials warn
-
2 months ago
Ring of Fire road to bring prosperity to First Nation, problems for caribou: report
-
3 months ago
Anishinabek Nation chief says he briefed Ontario police on protests against Bill 5
-
2 months ago
Former major leaguer, Jays doctor Ron Taylor dies
-
2 months ago
Jagmeet Singh apologizes for attending Kendrick Lamar concert after Drake calls him out
-
2 months ago
Dreaming of a lakeside cottage but can’t afford it? Co-ownership could open that door