Connect with us

Negative stories about Rogers Stadium are ‘branding poison’ for the sponsor, marketers say

Published

on


As a marketing expert, Markus Giesler was aghast after hearing Coldplay frontman Chris Martin blast Toronto’s brand new Rogers Stadium onstage.

“It sent shivers down my spine,” Giesler said of Martin’s comments at the 50,000-capacity venue built to attract big acts to the city over the next five years.

When he took the stage Monday night, Martin thanked fans for persevering through logistical challenges to get “to this weird stadium in the middle of nowhere,” adding to early complaints from ticketholders about poor crowd control and transit woes to access the location in Toronto’s North York suburb.

Giesler, a professor at York University’s Schulich School of Business, said that’s “the worst case of sponsorships,” for the telecommunication giant, whose name is on the outdoor venue operated by Live Nation on land owned by Northcrest Developments.

“It’s the kind of branding poison that you’re trying to avoid at all costs,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

Experts say that’s the risk that comes with putting your name on a facility you don’t own.

As of Wednesday, Rogers spokesman Zac Carreiro said Live Nation has been improving the venue’s operations and “we know they will continue to make enhancements at the stadium.”

A Live Nation Canada spokesperson said those adjustments include “improving crowd flow, easing traffic congestion, enhancing accessibility and comfort to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all guests.”

“We’re pleased to see the changes have already had a positive impact,” the Live Nation Canada spokesperson said in an email.


Click to play video: 'Growing pains continue for Rogers Stadium'


Growing pains continue for Rogers Stadium


Still, the early impressions could cast a shadow over Rogers’ reputation, Giesler said.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

“When the spotlight is on the venue, the brand’s name shines just as brightly, both in a good and in a bad way. And that has to do with the fact that the fan experience, in some sense, almost directly translates to how we think and how we feel about a brand,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

If the fan experience is great, he said, customers are more likely to have a positive association with the brand attached to it.

For instance, last year Rogers billed itself as the company that brought Taylor Swift to Canada for six sold-out nights in Toronto and three final shows in Vancouver that many fans described as a highlight.

But the inverse is also true, even if Rogers isn’t in charge of the experience.


“I don’t think anyone really knows that Live Nation is operationally in charge. But that’s the kind of assumptions that we have. The place says Rogers, clearly Rogers must be in charge, right? But that’s not the case,” said Giesler.

Claire Tsai, a marketing professor at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management, noted that Rogers’ size means it’s big enough to absorb the negative press, with millions of customers unlikely to change their telecom provider based on a bad concert experience.

“For existing Rogers customers, I think this is probably not going to affect them too much. But for people who are considering switching brands, maybe right now the sentiment is a little on the negative side. They may hesitate.”

However, she doesn’t believe the complaints around the stadium are likely to last.

“The venue will figure out a way to solve these problems,” she said, suspecting some complaints have been blown out of proportion.

Story continues below advertisement

One thing that’s less changeable is the venue’s location. It’s on the far outskirts of the city, roughly 15 kilometres north of the downtown core. It could take an hour or more to get there by subway from Union Station, the city’s main transit hub, including a trek that’s more than a kilometre from the nearest subway station.

Again on Tuesday, the Coldplay frontman referenced how remote it was, calling it a “very bizarre stadium a million miles from Earth.”

“We are solely testing the premise ‘if you build it they will come,’” Martin quipped. “I’m very grateful that you did come.”

But the location was a source of confusion for some, who thought they were attending a show at the similarly named Rogers Centre, located downtown.

Brian Ellis, who came to the show from Detroit, was among the concertgoers who booked accommodations next to the Rogers Centre under the mistaken belief he’d be able to walk to the show on Monday.

Instead, he walked a half-hour from the Sheppard West subway station where he parked his car.

On the positive side, with Rogers Stadium, the company is now associated with a purpose-built concert venue that can attract acts such as Coldplay and Oasis, said Michael Naraine, a professor of sport management at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ont.

Story continues below advertisement

Large musical acts have had to compete with sporting events for time slots at Toronto’s Scotiabank Arena and the Rogers Centre, a problem Rogers Stadium was meant to address.

The Rogers Centre — which is both owned and operated by the telecom company — also recently went through renovations that mean seats on the 100 level are no longer pointed toward the centre of the venue. Instead, they’re directed toward home base. It makes sense when the venue is being used for baseball, but not so much when it comes to other uses, he said.

“If you’re … a concert venue where the central act is going to be in the middle, you can’t really have your seats focused off stage right,” Naraine said.

But the Rogers Stadium won’t be a long-term solution to Toronto’s concert crunch, as it’s temporary by design.

Located near the former Downsview Airport, the site has been earmarked for a massive live-work-play development that’s expected to house more than 100,000 people upon its completion in a few decades.

In the meantime, University of Guelph marketing professor Timothy Dewhirst said there may not be much incentive to drastically improve the customer experience for concertgoers, given that Live Nation and Rogers own much of the city’s other medium-to-large concert halls.

“Often if there is that kind of concentration of the market there can be complacency. There isn’t sufficient competition of an alternative,” Dewhirst said. “It often leads to higher prices, and anyone that’s attended a music or sports event in Toronto can probably attest that it’s gotten very expensive.”

Story continues below advertisement

If music lovers want to see massive acts such as Oasis — who is performing two nights in August on their only stop in Canada — while avoiding the trek to Downsview, they’ll likely have to travel even farther: to Montreal or Detroit.

“To see them in Toronto, there really is not an alternative other than maybe to decide not to go,” Dewhirst said.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crown Royal bottler closing down Ontario plant, moving operations to U.S.

Published

on

By


Spirits maker Diageo will cease operations at its bottling facility in Amherstburg, Ont., early next year, as it shifts some bottling volume to the U.S., the company announced on Thursday.

The facility, which bottles Crown Royal products, will close in February in a move aimed at improving its North American supply chain.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

About 200 jobs will be affected.

“This was a difficult decision, but one that is crucial to improving the efficiency and resiliency of our supply chain network,” Marsha McIntosh, Diageo’s president of North America supply, said in a statement.

Diageo said it will engage with the community and find ways to support its employees through the transition, and work alongside Unifor to assist unionized workers.

The company said it will still maintain a “significant” footprint in Canada — including its headquarters and warehouse operations in the Greater Toronto Area, and bottling and distillation facilities in Manitoba and Quebec.

Story continues below advertisement

McIntosh added the company’s Crown Royal products will continue to be mashed, distilled and aged at its Canadian facilities.

&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Man faces attempted murder charge after two men struck by car in Toronto: police

Published

on

By


Toronto police say a 33-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly striking two men with his car Wednesday evening.

Officers say they responded to reports of a collision in the area of Don Mills Road and Gateway Boulevard in the city’s North York neighbourhood just before 10:30 p.m.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Police say two men got into an argument, leading to one man getting into his car and hitting the other man with it.

They say the man then put his car into reverse, striking a second man.

A man in his 50s was transported to hospital with serious injuries and the second man, in his 20s, had minor injuries.

Police say the suspect from Markham, Ont., faces several other charges as well, including two counts of assault with a weapon, uttering threats and dangerous driving.


&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Intruder in Ontario home invasion case carried a crossbow, court docs say

Published

on

By


A court document shows a Lindsay, Ont., man facing charges for allegedly breaking into an apartment was carrying a crossbow when he was confronted by a tenant.

The resident, Jeremy David McDonald, is also facing assault charges in the incident on Aug. 18 — a fact that has generated widespread interest in the case.

Police information filed in court alleges that Michael Kyle Breen damaged a window and screen at McDonald’s home and carried a crossbow.

The court document says the 41-year-old Breen is charged with break and enter, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, mischief under $5,000 and failing to comply with a probation order.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Police have said that Breen, who is scheduled to appear in court for a bail hearing next week, was already wanted for unrelated offences.

Story continues below advertisement

McDonald, the 44-year-old resident, was charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon after he allegedly “did endanger the life” of Breen.

Premier Doug Ford blasted the decision to charge the apartment resident, saying last week that it shows “something is broken.”

Kawartha Lakes Police Chief Kirk Robertson wrote in a statement Wednesday that he recognizes the incident has generated significant public interest and “emotional” responses, but called some of the reaction “unjust and inaccurate.”

Robertson wrote that individuals have the right to defend themselves and their property, but the law requires that any defensive action be proportionate to the threat faced.

“This means that while homeowners do have the right to protect themselves and their property, the use of force must be reasonable given the circumstances,” he wrote.


&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 | Ottawa Today