Connect with us

Escaped Quebec murderer killed unconscious man with an axe, court docs show

Published

on


The search continues for convicted killer Lory Bill Germa, who escaped from a Quebec prison over the weekend and may be in Ontario.

On Sunday, Correctional Service Canada said the 69-year-old, who was serving an indeterminate sentence for first-degree murder, had escaped from Archambault Institution in Quebec’s Laurentians area.

A short time later, provincial police in Ontario issued a release saying Germa could be hiding in the southwestern portion of the province.

Here is what we know about Germa:

According to an appeal filed in 1995, Germa was involved in the brutal slaying of Bradley Alderton on Oct. 19, 1990, in Chertsey, Que., which is about 100 kilometres north of Montreal.

Story continues below advertisement

Germa, Alderton and a third man were involved in a robbery in Toronto, where they made off with $29,000, but the two men felt that Alderton had ripped them off.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

They met up with him at a home Germa had been renting in Chertsey, and after Alderton passed out, they killed him with an axe and a knife.

The third man, listed in the court document as “Borland,” led police to the body following his arrest in connection with several robberies.

Initially, he attempted to pin the entire crime on Germa, but after taking a polygraph, he admitted he had also stabbed the victim.

The two men replaced the mattress where the victim had been sleeping the following day, and that night, they buried the body in another location in Chertsey.

Story continues below advertisement

On June 5, 1991, Borland led police to the body.

On Saturday, Germa was found missing during an inmate count at the minimum-security unit of Archambault Institution, where he was serving his sentence.

Germa is the second convicted killer to escape from Archambault in the last three weeks.

Fellow inmate Richard Plourde escaped on June 22 and was arrested by Quebec provincial police the following day.

The facility is located in Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines, about 40 kilometres northwest of Montreal, and has housed some notable inmates, including Valery Fabrikant and Luka Magnotta.

On Sunday, police in Ontario announced that Germa may be hiding in southwestern Ontario, more specifically in the South Bruce or Hanover areas, and was wanted on a Canada-wide warrant.

Story continues below advertisement

When asked what connected Germa to the area in that specific part of the province, a police spokesperson told Global News that Germa has relatives in the area.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police.


&copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crown Royal bottler closing down Ontario plant, moving operations to U.S.

Published

on

By


Spirits maker Diageo will cease operations at its bottling facility in Amherstburg, Ont., early next year, as it shifts some bottling volume to the U.S., the company announced on Thursday.

The facility, which bottles Crown Royal products, will close in February in a move aimed at improving its North American supply chain.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

About 200 jobs will be affected.

“This was a difficult decision, but one that is crucial to improving the efficiency and resiliency of our supply chain network,” Marsha McIntosh, Diageo’s president of North America supply, said in a statement.

Diageo said it will engage with the community and find ways to support its employees through the transition, and work alongside Unifor to assist unionized workers.

The company said it will still maintain a “significant” footprint in Canada — including its headquarters and warehouse operations in the Greater Toronto Area, and bottling and distillation facilities in Manitoba and Quebec.

Story continues below advertisement

McIntosh added the company’s Crown Royal products will continue to be mashed, distilled and aged at its Canadian facilities.

&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Man faces attempted murder charge after two men struck by car in Toronto: police

Published

on

By


Toronto police say a 33-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly striking two men with his car Wednesday evening.

Officers say they responded to reports of a collision in the area of Don Mills Road and Gateway Boulevard in the city’s North York neighbourhood just before 10:30 p.m.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Police say two men got into an argument, leading to one man getting into his car and hitting the other man with it.

They say the man then put his car into reverse, striking a second man.

A man in his 50s was transported to hospital with serious injuries and the second man, in his 20s, had minor injuries.

Police say the suspect from Markham, Ont., faces several other charges as well, including two counts of assault with a weapon, uttering threats and dangerous driving.


&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Intruder in Ontario home invasion case carried a crossbow, court docs say

Published

on

By


A court document shows a Lindsay, Ont., man facing charges for allegedly breaking into an apartment was carrying a crossbow when he was confronted by a tenant.

The resident, Jeremy David McDonald, is also facing assault charges in the incident on Aug. 18 — a fact that has generated widespread interest in the case.

Police information filed in court alleges that Michael Kyle Breen damaged a window and screen at McDonald’s home and carried a crossbow.

The court document says the 41-year-old Breen is charged with break and enter, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, mischief under $5,000 and failing to comply with a probation order.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Police have said that Breen, who is scheduled to appear in court for a bail hearing next week, was already wanted for unrelated offences.

Story continues below advertisement

McDonald, the 44-year-old resident, was charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon after he allegedly “did endanger the life” of Breen.

Premier Doug Ford blasted the decision to charge the apartment resident, saying last week that it shows “something is broken.”

Kawartha Lakes Police Chief Kirk Robertson wrote in a statement Wednesday that he recognizes the incident has generated significant public interest and “emotional” responses, but called some of the reaction “unjust and inaccurate.”

Robertson wrote that individuals have the right to defend themselves and their property, but the law requires that any defensive action be proportionate to the threat faced.

“This means that while homeowners do have the right to protect themselves and their property, the use of force must be reasonable given the circumstances,” he wrote.


&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 | Ottawa Today