Connect with us

Alleged 5-time impaired driver charged after Brampton crash severely injures man

Published

on


A Mississauga man is facing multiple charges after an alleged impaired driving incident led to a serious four-vehicle crash in Brampton, leaving a 21-year-old man critically injured.

Peel Regional Police say the collision occurred around 4:15 p.m. on Saturday, July 5, at the intersection of Highway 50 and Coleraine Drive.

Three people were taken to hospital including a 21-year-old male who is currently in unstable condition with “long-term life-altering injuries,” according to a statement from police.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

The accused, a 58-year-old from Mississauga, has been charged in connection with the crash.

Police allege that he was impaired at the time of the collision and say he was driving despite being under three separate lifetime driving prohibitions.

The individual is facing charges that include impaired driving causing bodily harm, driving with excess blood alcohol, and three counts of prohibited driving.

Story continues below advertisement

He was held for a bail hearing and was later released with conditions, including a prohibition on operating a motor vehicle. Police also allege that the man has five prior convictions related to impaired driving.

“Our thoughts are with the family of those injured in this horrific crash,” said Deputy Chief Marc Andrews of Peel Regional Police in a statement.

“We are committed to holding dangerous drivers accountable for their actions. Repeat offenders must face consequences sufficient to stop them from continuing to offend, and we are working to ensure that happens,” he added.

Authorities are asking anyone with dashcam footage of the incident to contact the Major Collision Bureau. Anonymous tips can also be submitted through Peel Crime Stoppers.


&copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most of Canada sees changes under newly updated plant hardiness zones map

Published

on

By


Gardeners will have an updated roadmap to help them plan next year as Natural Resources Canada has released an update to its plant hardiness zones map.

The last map came out in 2014 and, since then, researchers say about 80 per cent of land in Canada has shown an increase in zones, typically between a half and a full zone.

In the simplest terms, the plant hardiness zone map shows what can grow where. The zones go from 0 to 9, and each zone is divided into two: a and b.

The maps are created based on data from seven criteria averaged out over a 30-year span: monthly mean of the daily minimum temperature of the coldest month, mean frost-free period above 0 C in days, amount of rainfall from June to November, monthly mean of the daily maximum temperatures of the warmest month, rainfall in January (important because freezing temperatures following rainfall can be bad for roots), mean maximum snow depth and maximum wind gust in 30 years.

Story continues below advertisement

The new map, which came out in July, is based on data from 1991 to 2020.

Growing in Ontario

In southern Ontario, specifically, most locations have increased by half a zone from the previous map.

“One notable exception is the GTA, which is a big area, so it actually covers a few different zones, but on average it’s increased from a 6A to a 7A,” said John Pedler, research scientist at Great Lakes Forestry Centre, part of Canadian Forest Service — Natural Resources Canada

McKenney says some of the change in Toronto could be due to the “heat island effect.”

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

“As populations grow, there’s more of an influence of concrete and buildings in the actual heat that’s experienced by people in large centres. It’s something that’s studied by climate scientists, not us per se, but we see it represented in the maps that we make.”

The other area in Ontario to see a large jump is the Windsor region, which moved from a 7A to a 7B.

“That’s the first time we’ve seen 7B in Ontario.”


The 1991-2020 plant hardiness zones map, focused on southern Ontario.

Natural Resources Canada

The change in zones means gardeners in Zone 7 can grow canna lilies or even dahlias as perennials rather than annuals. Pedler says gardeners could even try their hand at peaches, nectarines and even figs and pomegranates.

Story continues below advertisement

However, Dan McKenney, a research scientist and director of the Integrated Ecology and Economics Division at the Great Lakes Forestry Centre, noted that the maps are a guide based on 30-year averages, and one particularly cold winter could be too harsh for those plants.

“Plants experience things on a day-to-day basis. Every year is different.”

McKenney pointed to Natural Resources Canada’s species models, which allow people to look up the hardiness of individual plant species based on location.


“Some of these other approaches might be best for people who are thinking about commercial growing, depending on your risk tolerances.”

The big picture

Some areas saw changes up to two full zones — mostly in Western Canada, southern and northwestern British Columbia, and the foothills region of Alberta — though none in urban centres.

“As far as some of the big urban centres go across the country, Victoria was a big winner with an increase of 1.5 zones, and it went from a 7B to a 9A; 9A is the highest hardiness zone in all of Canada, so that’s limited to pretty much the area immediately surrounding Victoria and Vancouver,” Pedler said.

“Coming across the country, Vancouver jumped from an 8A to a 9A, Calgary jumped from a 3A to 4A, Winnipeg jumped from 2B to a 3B, Toronto jump from a 6a to a 7a.”

Story continues below advertisement

Notably, the eastern portion of Newfoundland actually dropped by half a zone.

“The going theory there is that climate change is actually driving more spawning of icebergs in the North Atlantic, and so you’ve got more icebergs moving down through Iceberg Alley and actually almost counterintuitively having a cooling effect on the eastern part of Newfoundland,” Pedler said, adding that climate change is likely driving the major changes in zones across Canada.

“While it’s fun to think about the novel planting opportunities that come with increasing plant hardiness zones across the country, the larger context is this very concerning phenomenon that is projected to have significant negative impacts on natural and human environments – some of which we’re already seeing, such as the longer and more intense fire seasons in Northern Canada.”

Canada’s map does not translate directly to the United States Department of Agriculture’s map, which is based solely on extreme temperatures.

“(That approach) works well for them because they don’t get a lot of snow in all parts of their country but snow cover can make a big difference to plants,” McKenney said.

Canada’s interactive plant hardiness zones maps, including previous maps covering 1961-1990 and 1981-2010, can be found on the Natural Resources Canada website.

&copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Continue Reading

Crown Royal bottler closing down Ontario plant, moving operations to U.S.

Published

on

By


Spirits maker Diageo will cease operations at its bottling facility in Amherstburg, Ont., early next year, as it shifts some bottling volume to the U.S., the company announced on Thursday.

The facility, which bottles Crown Royal products, will close in February in a move aimed at improving its North American supply chain.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

About 200 jobs will be affected.

“This was a difficult decision, but one that is crucial to improving the efficiency and resiliency of our supply chain network,” Marsha McIntosh, Diageo’s president of North America supply, said in a statement.

Diageo said it will engage with the community and find ways to support its employees through the transition, and work alongside Unifor to assist unionized workers.

The company said it will still maintain a “significant” footprint in Canada — including its headquarters and warehouse operations in the Greater Toronto Area, and bottling and distillation facilities in Manitoba and Quebec.

Story continues below advertisement

McIntosh added the company’s Crown Royal products will continue to be mashed, distilled and aged at its Canadian facilities.

&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Man faces attempted murder charge after two men struck by car in Toronto: police

Published

on

By


Toronto police say a 33-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly striking two men with his car Wednesday evening.

Officers say they responded to reports of a collision in the area of Don Mills Road and Gateway Boulevard in the city’s North York neighbourhood just before 10:30 p.m.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Police say two men got into an argument, leading to one man getting into his car and hitting the other man with it.

They say the man then put his car into reverse, striking a second man.

A man in his 50s was transported to hospital with serious injuries and the second man, in his 20s, had minor injuries.

Police say the suspect from Markham, Ont., faces several other charges as well, including two counts of assault with a weapon, uttering threats and dangerous driving.


&copy 2025 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 | Ottawa Today