Ontario comedian hoping to break record for world’s largest yard sale

A Belleville, Ont., comedian is hoping to set the world record for most garage sales in one day this weekend, and he is not joking around about it.
Kyle Woolven says when he first thought of the idea of turning his community into a massive garage sale, no one took him seriously, which he says was understandable given his profession.
“I had to go to like the higher-ups in the city, all the well-connected city council type people, and I explain my idea there, and then it took one person (to say), ‘That’s not a bad idea, we should try and do something like that.’”
On July 19, the community will aim to set a Guinness World Record for the greatest number of yard sales.
While there does not appear to be an official Guinness World Record yet, there is an annual event in the United States called The 127 Yard Sale, which claims to be the world’s longest yard sale, crossing six states at 690 miles.
“People can’t help but love yard sales. If they see one, they get this urge to go and stop at it, even though most of the stuff there they don’t want, or they have already at home, but when you see a yard sale, you go, ‘Oh yeah, cool, come on, what do they have over there?’” Woolven says.

Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
The comedian says he thinks people love yard sales so much because they give you “a glimpse at all the mistakes that people have made over the years.”
He goes on to say you can “look at all their stuff and then be like, ‘Oh my goodness, you bought like two of those singing bass fish that hang on the wall things?’ I’ll give you $3.50 for those.”
Woolven is hoping for at least 500 yard sales. So far, at least 350 have officially registered.
People can register online at the Bellville yard sale website. People will be out on the day of the event tracking the number of participants.
Record aside, Woolven says his true motivations are for a good cause, with all the money raised going to support the United Way Hastings and Prince Edward County.
Through that, Woolven said the money will be distributed to local organizations that need it most.
“Last year, Bellville declared a state of emergency because we had a string of large number of overdoses very quickly and we didn’t have the means to handle it all … so there’s lots of people in the city that are in need and this money just goes directly to them.”
Those interested in joining in on the fun can visit Belleville on Saturday to see what can be found.
© 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


A 71-year-old man from Cornwall, Ont., is facing charges after he allegedly stabbed an elderly woman in Ottawa in what police consider to be a hate-motivated crime.
Police say a woman in her 70s entered a grocery store on Baseline Road with a friend at around 1:35 p.m. on Wednesday when she was approached by a man who stabbed her, causing serious injuries.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
They say the victim was treated in hospital and later released.
The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs has said the woman is a member of Ottawa’s Jewish community and the grocery store, known for its kosher food section, has been a target of protests.
Police say the stabbing suspect was charged with aggravated assault and possession of a dangerous weapon.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Prime Minister Mark Carney have both condemned the attack, calling it disturbing and “senseless.”
Police say they are in contact with Jewish community leaders and officers will increase their presence in areas of significance to the Jewish community.
© 2025 The Canadian Press

Education experts and advocates are questioning Ontario’s already delayed plan to introduce a financial literacy requirement for high school students as part of the Grade 10 math course, with some saying the approach may actually discourage teens’ interest in personal finances.
The requirement set to come into effect this September has been postponed until next year, along with several other curriculum changes.
The province has said that students will learn home economics such as managing a household budget, and will need to score at least 70 per cent on a financial literacy test in order to graduate.
While many educators agree the financial literacy requirement is a much-needed addition to the curriculum, the standardized test component and its place in the Grade 10 math curriculum are under scrutiny.
A mandatory test may risk creating “a negative association with personal finances for a young person,” said Gail Henderson, director of the business law program at Queen’s University who also researches financial literacy education.
The approach should prioritize developing students’ confidence to make financial decisions, which isn’t conducive to a high-stakes test-based environment, she said.
Instead of a test, Henderson said the government should consider a portfolio where students can compile and showcase their work, allowing teachers to give feedback along the way and tailor their lesson plans based on student progress.
Another issue Henderson raised about a standardized test is that questions are generally tailored to upper- and middle-class financial experiences, and students coming from lower-income families may not see their situations reflected in the curriculum.
“(Standardized tests) don’t capture the everyday skills people use to manage on a very tight budget,” she said.

Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
While teachers may have the liberty to adjust their lessons based on varying socioeconomic experiences within the classroom, Henderson said teachers will still ultimately have to “teach to the test.”
Because education curriculums only outline learning outcomes without diving into specifics on how to teach a given subject, that may create additional strain on teachers who have to incorporate financial literacy into an already jam-packed Grade 10 math course, Henderson added.
“I don’t think we can leave that up to math teachers alone,” she said.
Members of the Ontario Business Educators’ Association are also questioning if Grade 10 math is the best place to incorporate the financial literacy requirement.
“We’re concerned that financial literacy is going to get lost because they have a whole lot of other expectations to meet the Grade 10 curriculum for math,” said Bill Velos, former president of the business association.
Malisa Mashud, vice-president of membership at the business association, said she’d rather see the introduction of a mandatory financial literacy course taught by business teachers who bring expertise in finance.
“Couldn’t we have a business teacher be the one teaching financial literacy … rather than having to push this to the educators in the math department?” said Mashud, who is also the business department head at David and Mary Thomson Collegiate Institute in Toronto.
“It just feels like an opportunity that’s lost.”
Many business teachers are already implementing financial literacy in the classroom either by introducing smaller lessons into existing business courses or by creating distinct money management elective courses, but the association said they worry about the students who aren’t taking these optional business courses.
With many students filling their schedules with science and math courses as post-secondary education prerequisites, Mashud said they don’t have room to take a business elective.
While the business educators are calling for further consultation on the financial literacy requirement, they also said its pause until 2026 warns of “a delay in urgency.”
“It may signal to educators that financial literacy is just not a priority,” said Emilia Marotta-Kulcsar, president of the association.
Other delayed curriculum changes include a focus on literacy and STEM — or science, technology, engineering and mathematics — in kindergarten and adjustments to history lessons for Grades 7, 8 and 10.
Education Minister Paul Calandra’s office said in a statement that it decided to adjust the curriculum rollout timeline to “ensure a more consistent approach across the province” and give teachers more time to adapt to the changes.
“This is to ensure comprehensive teaching resources are available to accompany the revised curriculum in advance of implementation,” wrote Emma Testani, Calandra’s press secretary.
The ministry did not comment on whether it would be hosting additional consultations or if it would consider making changes to the scheduled curriculum overhaul.
“These changes aim to empower students to be ready to make informed financial decisions, enhance their financial literacy, and contribute to Ontario’s economic prosperity,” Testani wrote.
© 2025 The Canadian Press

Ontario Provincial Police in Renfrew, Ont., are looking for a suspect in a sexual assault after police allege he fled from officers.
On Thursday, a woman went to a local hospital in the community an hour west of Ottawa and reported that she had been held against her will and sexually assaulted at a motel on Raglan Street North.
Police say the woman also indicated the male, whom she knows, was in possession of a handgun.
The male had already left the motel when police went to investigate but was later spotted walking in the area.
Officers attempted the take him into custody, but say he fled onto the Algonquin Trail.

Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
Additional officers, including members of the Renfrew detachment, the OPP emergency response team, the canine unit and the tactics and rescue unit, are combing through the area.
While there was believed to be no threat to the general public, a shelter-in-place was issued for the area just after 9 p.m. out of an abundance of caution. The shelter-in-place was lifted shortly before 1 a.m. on Friday.
The extensive search continued throughout the evening, but police say it appeared the male had managed to flee from the area.
The male has been identified, and an arrest warrant is being sought.
The male is described as five feet nine inches to six feet tall, with hair on the top of his head and the sides shaved.
Police say he has a goatee and a five-star tattoo above his left eyebrow and another tattoo under his left eye.
He was last seen wearing a purple plaid jacket, and possibly black shorts and a blue shirt, police say.
Officers are asking anyone who sees this individual or sees any suspicious activity in the area to call 911 immediately.
People are warned not to approach the suspect.
OPP are urging the male to contact the Renfrew OPP to turn himself in.
Anyone with any information, or potentially relevant doorbell, dashcam or surveillance video, is asked to call the Renfrew OPP at 1-888-310-1122 and refer to incident E251166365 or Crime Stoppers.
© 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
-
Uncategorized3 months ago
Shop Proud, Eat Proud, Be Proud — Ottawa Canada Day Market This June 28th
-
2 months ago
Ring of Fire road to bring prosperity to First Nation, problems for caribou: report
-
3 months ago
Canada’s world junior trial saw juries tossed, intense testimony. Here’s a recap
-
3 months ago
Measles circulating in northeastern B.C. community, health officials warn
-
3 months ago
Anishinabek Nation chief says he briefed Ontario police on protests against Bill 5
-
2 months ago
Former major leaguer, Jays doctor Ron Taylor dies
-
2 months ago
Jagmeet Singh apologizes for attending Kendrick Lamar concert after Drake calls him out
-
2 months ago
Dreaming of a lakeside cottage but can’t afford it? Co-ownership could open that door